DIPOLOG CITY HISTORY

 Dipolog's earliest recorded history started in 1834 when a civil government was organized by the Spanish Provincial government of Misamis, under whose jurisdiction we then belonged, with the appointment of a "Captain" as town executive, 'Teniente' and an 'Aguacil' to maintain law and order. Don Domingo Ruiz, a native, was the town executive that year when the town site transferred from Sitio Tulwanan to where it is now.

Video History

Dipag History

         But many years before that, Christianized and pagan settlers from the visayas had already settled and mingled with the Subanos. For safety's sake against marauding pirates, they established a pueblo in what is now Barangay Sianib of Polanco, some twenty (20) kilometers from the coast of Dipolog. When danger from piracy subsided, they transferred the settlement to Sitio Isab, Nipaan and constructed a church on a hilltop over looking a wide plain and the mouth of the Isab creek.

        The Spanish colonization of Dipolog and Northwestern Mindanao was done with the Cross of Catholicism, and the Missionaries, demanded that the Christianized natives attend mass and church services morning and afternoon. The inconvenience of tramping up and down that hill to appease the priest, compelled the people to move downriver to Tulwanan were they build another Capilla. In 1834, as stated earlier, they transferred to the present site at the mouth of Dipolog River.

        As more and more settlers composed mostly of Boholanos, Cebuanos and pioneers from Negros, came to stay and cultivate the soil, a succession of Capitanes governed the town.
           
In 1903, while visiting Dapitan, Judge William H. Taft, President of the Second Philippine Commission, decreed that Dapitan District which included Dipolog and the neighboring township must be separated from Cagayan de Oro of Misamis Province and annexed to the Provincia Mora which later became Zamboanga Province.

Officials

        Then the 'reversion' came. On March 4, 1904, while Isidro Patangan was Presidente Municipal, an American Officer who was the Provincial Secretary of the Provincia Mora, and in his capacity as a Deputy of the Provincial Governor, came to Dipolog. He called an urgent meeting on all incumbent and ex-town officials and other prominent 'principalia' and delivered a written order that effective immediately, Dipolog was converted into a barrio of Dapitan to be represented by only two councilors with two policemen to maintain peace and order and periodic patrol of the newly-organized Philippine Constabulary.

        This sad state of affairs persisted for eight years, with the people filing protests and petitions that ended nowhere. Then in 1910, a young man from Dipolog was appointed Municipal President of Dapitan. He was only 25 years old, single and his appointment came by pure chance. But Dipolognons at that time say it was providential. An old manuscript tells us this story:

        "One day in the year 1910, Provincial Governor of Zamboanga Province Mr. Helper visited Dipolog and proceeded to Dapitan on horseback, escorted by the town's principalia mostly members of the Centro Catolico de Dipolog up to the mouth of the Dipolog river at Barra District. Upon passing by the residence of Don Jose Aguirre, Governor Helper was invited to come up. There he met Pascual T. Martinez who was ahead of him in the house of Don Jose. An offer of an office as Municipal President of Dapitan was made to Pascual T. Martinez."

Pascual T. Martinez

John J. Pershing

Isabelo Z. Echavez

Gaudencio Bendijo

        It was a fairly spacious edifice with concrete foundation and ground flooring. The posts and structural materials were of first group lumber, roofing is of corrugated iron and Spanish concrete block walling on the first-story. The ground floor consisted of four big rooms for offices and one jail, aside from a spacious passage and two small storerooms. The second floor, aside from its commodious social hall in the center, consisted of six big rooms for offices.

Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos

Other Historical Events of Dipolog

  • April 15, 1894 - Construction of the Roman Catholic Church at the same site. Dr. Jose P. Rizal designed the structure including the altar.
  • June 29, 1894 - Celebration of the first mass at the newly completed church edifice.
  • June 30, 1896 - The Parish of Dipolog was established.
  • November 6, 1896 - Installation of Jesuit Priest, Father Esteban de Yepes as the first parish priest of Dipolog.
  • 1896-1939 – For 43 years, Dipolog Parish was under the administration of the Society of Jesus { SJ } clergies
  • 1940 – Fr. Nicasio  Y. Patangan, a native of Dipolog, was appointed as the first Filipino Diocesan Parish Priest of Mindanao.
  • May 3, 1905 - Santa Cruz Marker was erected by the Boholanos, the landmark of Dipolog's Christianity. It is the oldest existing landmark of Dipolog.
  • July 1, 1913 - Dipolog was inaugurated as a municipality with Hon Pascual Martinez as its first Municipal Mayor appointed by Gen John J. Pershing, Governor General of Mindanao.
  • 1942 – The Seat of the Provincial Government was transferred from Zamboanga City to Dipolog by Acting-Governor Felipe B. Azcuna, thus making it the “cabacera de facto”

 

Search Site
images/icony/email.png Email Us
images/icony/article.png City News
Official Seal Guest Book
images/icony/Bitcomet.png Downloads
images/icony/about.png About this Site
July 24, 2014 - 05:07:57 PM
BARANGAY DIWAN MISILEBRAR SA NUTRITION MONTH
July 24, 2014 - 05:08:42 PM
MAYOR EVELYN UY MIDUYOG NUTRITION MONTH SA DIWAN
July 24, 2014 - 03:40:44 PM
SELEBRASYON SA NUTRITION MONTH SA GALAS NAGMABULOKON
View More

View More (101)

AZ AT&T Shops near Chandler